SaGa (サガ?) is a series of science fiction open world role-playing video games produced by Square, now Square Enix. The series originated on the Game Boy in 1989 as the creation of Akitoshi Kawazu. It has since continued, spanning multiple platforms. The series is notable for its emphasis on open world exploration, non-linear branching plots, and occasionally unconventional gameplay. This distinguished the series from most of Square's titles. There are currently nine games in the SaGa series, along with several ports and enhanced remakes.
The first three games in the series were rebranded as The Final Fantasy Legend when releasing in western regions to profit off the established Final Fantasy brand that Square owned at the time.
- Makai Toushi SaGa (1989, Game Boy, released as The Final Fantasy Legend in western regions)
- SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu (1990, Game Boy, released as Final Fantasy Legend II in western regions)
- SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha (1991, Game Boy, released as Final Fantasy Legend III in western regions)
- Romancing SaGa (1992, Super Famicom)
- Romancing SaGa 2 (1993, Super Famicom)
- Romancing SaGa 3 (1995, Super Famicom)
- SaGa Frontier (1997, PlayStation)
- SaGa Frontier 2 (1999, PlayStation)
- Unlimited Saga (2002, PlayStation 2)
- Emperors SaGa (2012, GREE)
- Imperial SaGa (2015, PC)
- SaGa Scarlet Grace (2016, PlayStation Vita)